Rain is the most Londony possible weather and this gives it a special charm. This means that Londoners know how to have fun, even if outside is pouring. If you want to enjoy your free time with no restrictions, include the following 14 attractions in the rainy day agenda.
Museums represent a fun way of mixing education with quality time. If you already visited the famous British Museum, V&A House, Natural History Museum or Science Museum it is time to try something different. An excellent way to be mesmerized is to spend the rainy day in Tate Modern, Design Museum, or London Transport Museum.
1. Tate Modern
Tate Modern will make your jaws drop right from the outside. The industrial architecture manages to impress with its massiveness and turbine halls. Here you can find the work of Bacon, Rothko, Beuys and many others.
2. Design Museum
If you wish to forget about the rain, you simply need to go to the Design Museum. It manages to encompass in a unique and extravagant way all that modern and contemporary art has to offer: fashion design, architecture, graphics and multimedia.
3. London Transport Museum
The London Transport Museum represents the ticket for a trip back in time. Here you can see how Londoners used to travel over a hundred years ago. You will be surprised to discover the first underground and learn why it had no windows.
Although shopping is something that Londoners and tourists do on a regular basis, it is best to focus on buying souvenirs, clothes and whatever your heart desires when it is cold and rainy outside. With a trip to any of the following shopping malls, you will forget about the gray sky and dull atmosphere.
4. Boxpark – a contemporary shopping and eating mall
5. Brent Cross Shopping Center – a mix of trustful department stores, specialist shops and high street brands
6. Brunswick – favorite brands and renowned restaurants in a colorful and vibrant atmosphere
7. Duke of York Square – fashion, hairstyling and makeup, all in one place
8. Kingly Court – for a complete vintage look
See a movie
Another great way to enjoy a rainy day is to watch a movie. As the location matters, it is up to you to decide how to make the atmosphere entertaining. The cinemas recommended below can get you into the right mood in no time.
9. Soho Curzon – it is not just a great cinema, but also a bar. It can be the right place to hang out with friends after or before watching a movie.
10. Odeon Leicester Square – it is the best place to see a blockbuster. It is big, impressive and you’ll get mesmerized by all the grandeur, lights, and sounds.
11. Hackney Picturehouse – it is the perfect place for a date, especially when the rain ruined your plans to spend time outside. Besides the fancy red seats and cozy atmosphere, it also has a cool bar to have a drink with your loved one.
London has taken the definition of the pub to a whole different level. In brief words, there are several thematic locations where you can enjoy yourself in a unique way.
12. Bounce – If you want to do something different, you can opt for playing ping-pong. Bounce is the best place in town to socialize and move your body. It is a remarkable pub with 17 tables, so you can imagine the magnitude of the pace. There are also foods and drinks included so you don’t have to spend an entire day running after the ball.
13. Old China Hand – This is another great pub that focuses on spending quality time with friends. Here you can enjoy, ping-pong, darts, and board games. However, make sure you eat something before you go there as there is no food included, only beverages.
14. The Sea Life London Aquarium can bring a smile to you and your family’s face no matter how cloudy and rainy it is outside. From young to old, everybody will be dazzled by the sea creatures.